Expand the reach and impact of an international educational technology professional association.
The Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) is a professional association of instructional designers, educators and professionals who provide leadership and advise policy makers in order to sustain a continuous effort to enrich teaching and learning. Seizing opportunities to raise awareness and leverage technology, our members may be found around the world in colleges and universities, in the Armed Forces and industry, in museums, libraries, and hospitals, and in the many places where educational change is underway. Our research and scholarly activity contribute to the knowledge base in the field of Learning. We are on the cutting edge of new developments and innovations in research and application.
AECT is the premier organization for those actively involved in the design of instruction and a systematic approach to learning. We provide an international forum for the exchange and dissemination of ideas for our members and for target audiences. We are the national and international voice for improvement of instruction and the most recognized association of information concerning a wide range of instructional and educational technology.
As the Executive Director of a world-renowned association, you will enable AECT to achieve its vision and accomplish its mission by initiating, implementing, overseeing, evaluating, promoting, collaborating, and advocating for the awareness and growth of the practice, research, and scholarship in the field of education technology. You will report to the Board of Directors.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the overall operations of the Association,
- Providing leadership in refining and implementing the Board’s strategic vision and engaging others to acquire resources sufficient to accomplish its goals,
- Building, leading, and managing a small, high-performing, professional, and supportive team of full-time staff,
- Developing and executing operational plans and managing those plans to the budget,
- Managing stakeholder relationships and subsequent collaborations,
- Amplifying the contributions of the Association and its members to the broader education technology sector,
- Representing the Association at meetings and in other settings,
- Implementing evidence-based approaches to support the goals of the Association and its future growth, and
- Occasional travel, including to the Association’s annual convention and for other events.
Benefits and Culture
You will receive a competitive compensation package, contribute to the advancement of a critically important field, and enjoy a high level of visibility as a leader of a world-renowned professional association.
To excel in this role, you will be a strong and decisive leader with experience in the non-profit sector who works effectively with a Board of Directors. You will have highly developed strategic planning skills and a proven track record of working in organizations that are responsive to the needs of their members.
Additionally, you will ideally have:
- A graduate-level degree in nonprofit management or a similar field,
- Certified Association Executive certification, or similarly relevant training,
- Demonstrated success in implementing operational plans and implementing innovative solutions that achieve established goals,
- Successful financial management and operational excellence,
- A creative, entrepreneurial approach that has delivered valued outcomes for similar organizations,
- Leadership that facilitates diverse, equitable, and inclusive spaces where everyone feels they belong,
- Persuasive, influential, and energetic leadership skills, including the ability to manage complexity and uncertainty,
- Effective communication skills,
- Expertise in managing high-level stakeholders and achieving international engagement,
- High levels of emotional intelligence, inner confidence, and an aptitude for continuous learning,
- A willingness to occasionally work evenings, early mornings, and weekends as needed for association activities,
- Fluency with business software, including Google Workspace, Excel, and QuickBooks, and
- A deep understanding of the field of educational technology.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send the following information to ExecutiveDirectorSearch@aect.org:
- A cover letter describing your background and specifically addressing how you meet the Desired Qualifications listed above,
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, and
- A list of three professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the applicant.
The position is open until filled, but only applications received by May 15, 2022 can be assured full consideration.